1. I am a volunteer coach or manager for my child’s team in a sporting club. Do I need a Check?
The NSW Working With Children Check allows parents to volunteer in activities that involve their own children without needing a Check.
The two exemptions for parent volunteers are:
• Volunteering by a parent or close relative of a child in activities for the child’s school, early education service or other educational institution
• Volunteering by a parent or close relative, with a team, program or other activity in which the child usually participates or is a team member.
If the volunteering work fits either of these descriptions, the parent does not need to get a Check unless the work is part of a formal mentoring program or involves intimate personal care of children with a disability. See Clause 20 of the Child Protection (Working with Children) Regulation 2013.
Example 1: Jane volunteers to coach her daughter’s under 10 netball team. Jane does not need the Check.
Example 2: Dipika volunteers to coach her daughter’s under 10 netball team. She also coaches the club’s under 15s team which has no child that Dipika is closely related to. Dipika needs the Check.
2. How do I apply for a check?
The first step is to submit your Working with Children Check application online by going to www.kidsguardian.nsw.gov.au/check.
Once your application form has been completed online, you will be given an application (APP) number.
Then, to complete the application, you must take your application number along with proof of identity to a NSW Motor Registry, RMS Agency, or Service NSW office (not your local Council). Find a location at www.service.nsw.gov.au/service-centre.
Paid workers will be required to provide the fee of $80. For Volunteers, the Check is free.
If you need assistance in completing this form or do not have access to the internet or a computer please call (02) 9286 7219 for assistance.
For more details, go to www.kidsguardian.nsw.gov.au/check
• 1.a Do I need a Check?
• 1.k What sector am I in?
• 2.a How long will it take to get my result?